Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2/3 Post

Last week we talked about how a mission statement, in a way, is a thesis statement. A thesis is an opinion presented as a statement that needs evidence to support it. For your blog post, relate a single statement that serves to "manage change" as your primary thesis in your mission statement. What problems might a reader have with it? How will you mitigate those problems?

I don't yet have a cause to write a mission statement for, but I can imaging the first problem that a reader might have with the primary thesis already and it's the questions that ultimately seems to paralyze me. "Why do we (as in society, the world, and in particular my time and money) need this change?" And I don't know that I'll be able to answer that question. I can't truly believe any answer I would give about any "cause" that I don't have a personal stake in, or am patient about. And that's the problem that a reader would have...the unanswered WHY. And if I'm not patient or invested in the cause, I'll be dealing with an unanswered WHY also...

SO...how will I mitigate those problems...simple...I'll need to find a cause I can get behind; one that I'm willing to go to bat for; otherwise I might do what I do at work and give a resounding..."That's a great question...for some who cares."

2 comments:

  1. Dom, I'll only say to you what you already know. You need to settle on an organization for which to write. There's got to be something you can find that's related to something you already enjoy doing. Is there something in your community that you're affiliated with, or a hobby (working on cars) that is translated somewhere into a charitable organization, maybe there's s local class that could use some support. And keep in mind you can always work with Rich on his grants. Maybe that might be a good option for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad Dom, some of us are in the same boat. I can't give great advice, because I am by no means wise in this area; but, I have realized that it is best to dream small in this process until you find your sea-legs. Additionally, finding a cause will be easier than getting that cause to write back. If you find the secret, let us know! Best wishes Dom!
    R.B.

    ReplyDelete